Re: RARA-AVIS: Willeford, Ned and Flames, or why Willeford is the best...

Ned Fleming (ned@networksplus.net)
Thu, 06 Aug 1998 02:26:49 GMT On Wed, 5 Aug 1998 14:24:08 +0000, Peter Walker wrote:

>Willeford distilled a life times experience into his books and
>particularly the Hoke books. What makes them so scary, so real is the
>off-hand violence, the sudden casual nature of violence and how it can
>change our lives - small act of malice visited on us by people and
>situations we have never encountered before. Take Junior Frenger
>killing the Hare Krishna by breaking his finger, Troy Ludons comment
>that "I'm what the shrinks call a criminal psychopath. What that means
>is, I know the difference between right and wrong, but I don't give a
>shit", the events surrounding Stanley Sinkiewicz being accused of
>molesting a child (the same guy who goes round killing neighbourhood
>dogs), the eruption of violence in "The Way We Die Now", all
>`everyday' in not just their ordinariness but in the lulling, neutral
>way Willeford tells them.

Junior, Troy, and Stanley are all, to the man, unbelievable.

Troy could not seduce a Stanley in a thousand years. Stanley had 30
years of conformity ingrained in him, and Troy's unconvincing speeches
could not have undone Stanley's conventional corporate and family
conditioning. That Troy was a liar of huge proportions was telegraphed
as obvious. A man of average intelligence, Stanley, would have seen
straight through him. Stanley wasn't an idiot and I didn't perceive him
a gull -- still he fell for Troy's crock, and it is this that makes it
absurd.

I suppose its conceivable that a man could be killed by a broken finger.
I've never studied aikido or hopkido or kung fu or any of that crap. But
come on! It's highly, highly, unbelievably, absurdly possible. Stealing
someone's teeth? Funny, yes, but in human history how many times has
this happened? Three?

>Willeford wrote that "I had a hunch that madness was a predominant
>theme and normal condition for Americans living in the second half of
>this century". This was about his 1963 paranoid classic, "The Machine
>In Ward Eleven" and was over twenty years before he wrote the Hoke
>books. Even then he knew what he was saying.

Willeford's hunch was a stupid one. See, this is flat out ridiculous.
"Madness was a prominent theme and normal condition for Americans" just
makes me want to guffaw so hard I embarrassingly cut a big fart. I want
to bust out in (maniacal) laughter. It makes me doubt Willeford's sanity
for telling such an absurd lie.

>Willeford said n an interview (quoted in Crimetime 9, pg. 36)
>that; "A good half of the men you deal with in the Army are
>psychopaths. There's a pretty heft overlap between the military
>population and the prison population, so I knew plenty of guys like
>Junior in `Miami Blues' and Troy in `Sideswipe'...[when they finish
>their tour]..they just can't turn it off and go to work n a 7-11. If
>you're good with weapons or something in the Army, you're naturally
>gonna do something with weapons when you get out, whether it's being
>a cop or a criminal".

This is total horseshit. Soldiers are not psychopaths and the ones that
are are mustered out rapidamente. Sure, there's always going to be the
slippery one that stays in and causes some ruckus or calamity, but they
are the exceptions. Half are psychos? Get out of town. About the only
ex-soldiers interested in becoming cops are the ones who were MPs in the
service.

Self-disclosure: I own guns. Lots of them. I belong to a gun club and
I'm something of a pistolero. .22, 9mm, .357 mag., and .45 auto. No, I
don't think of my guns as my dick, thank you very much.

>Willeford's theme - well one of them - is the sexually obsessive man,
>the competitive man, the intelligent man who must prove himself better
>then others. This is a man who cannot live quietly and is all to real.
>He is a man who chooses to do bad and there are many like them.

I'll take Peter's word for this.

>Willeford is a great writer because he tells his story without
>us realising he is doing so.

I thought Willeford was transparent.

He became critically acclaimed in his
>life time and had the respect of his peers. He was just breaking into
>the big time when he died. His novels are imperfect but all the time
>they showed great improvement. What could have been. The fact that he
>wrote for the pulps - and his books were cheap - shouldn't hide this
>fact. There was nothing minor about them. Nor, for that matter, have
>his books anything to do with `magic realism' - a completely
>unconvincing description of anything let alone Willeford. Reality in
>abundance but magic implies fantasy or sleight of hand - with
>Willeford what you see is what you get.

If I ever get down on my knees for an author, would someone please slap
me or jab me with a heroin-charged hypodermic? Thank you in advance.

>On a final note: should Ned go? Well, Ned, I've e-mailed you about
>what I felt to be an unnecessarily OTT response to my e-mail in which
>I questioned your point of view.

I have one e-mail from you -- one which you sent me after you wrote this
message to the list. You sent your previous message to the list.

We should stick to the list rules and
>e-mail people direct with our quibbles and not bother the good people
>of this list with them. But Ned, you didn't answer my question - if
>the Hoke books are `minor' in the genre (whoops, there's that word
>again) then which books are `major'? This needs an answer because your
>statement "they are minor" implies there is something `major' - or
>didn't you intend it to actually make sense?

I respectfully decline to name these "major" books . . . or make sense.

--
Ned Fleming
#