Re: RARA-AVIS: Willeford (and NO FLAMES warning)

Ned Fleming (ned@networksplus.net)
Wed, 05 Aug 1998 03:49:44 GMT On Mon, 03 Aug 1998 12:02:34 +0000, Mario Taboada wrote:

>I said that Willeford is sui generis - which mold of crime writing does
>he fit, in your opinion? For example, you could mention some other crime
>writer that he closely resembles.

Elmore Leonard and Carl Hiaasen, the comparison to either I would not
call a compliment. But I did read 4 Willefords, which is enough to last
me a lifetime, I suppose, though I may watch "Miami Blues" again. Hey, I
did plow through 4 of them.

>As to magical realism, it is not vague and I was brief but not vague in
>referring to it - I mentioned its two most notable exponents (Rulfo and
>Garc=EDa M=E1rquez). Magical realism refers to stories in which
>extraordinary, inexplicable, illogical, or even supernatural events are
>presented in a nonchalant, matter-of-fact way, without any hint of
>abnormality. Long before JR and GGM, Pirandello and Kafka had done
>something similar. It is not my fault if you associate the words
>"magical realism" with Oz.

OK, I'm on the page now, thanks. Willeford isn't a magical realist; he's
an absurdist.

><<When I say "I don't give a shit about the genre" it's only in the
>sense of those who might elevate it into something it isn't: a kind of
>glam-lit along the lines of F. Scott Fitzgerald. Willeford as the peer
>of Fitzgerald. Man, that's a hoot.>>
>
>It's a bizarre comparison...

Think of it as a magical realist comparison.

>Besides which, no two writers are "peers".
>It's always every man for himself.=20

Why would you compare Willeford to Rulfo, Garc=EDa M=E1rquez, Pirandello =
and
Kafka? Obviously you think these authors have something in common -- as
some kind of peers -- or you wouldn't have made the comparison. My
comparison was grossly different, of course, because I don't think of
hardboiled fiction as much more than an entertaining diversion. That's
why I'm here. Others are here for other reasons. I simply don't think of
Willeford as some kind of geometric-puzzle-literature that needs to be
dissected by doctoral candidates to make sense of it. Is this an OK
attitude to have in rara-avis or should I shag out of here?

An aside: My 81-year-old Mom's all-time favorite movie is "Goodfellas."
She thought Joe Pesci's character was deliciously evil and hilarious. So
did I. I though the movie was the best gangster film ever made. It makes
"The Godfather" look like sentimental slop. I particularly enjoyed its
non-magical realism. Anyways, we celebrated her birthday this past
weekend by, among other things, watching Jackie Chan's "First Strike."
The old bag got a kick out it. To be honest, I thought it was a bore
except for the acrobatics. And I'm a chip off the old blockette. I enjoy
my water straight up -- right out of the tap. Water from a bottle is
like gift wrapping a dog turd. Wrapping up Willeford in a "magical
realist" tissue is just about like . . . uh, never mind.

I don't even know what it would mean
>to "elevate the genre". In my eyes, the genre is already important
>enough to read, write, enjoy, and discuss (as is much other literature I
>value outside of crime fiction).

Cool beans, lad.

><<Willeford is dead and won't be remembered 50 years from now, except
>from decaying paperback books. That's the case for most of those we read
>here. Tough shit.>>
>
>Who can know?

I'll bet you a million dollars.

--=20