Re: RARA-AVIS: Willeford (and NO FLAMES warning)

Ned Fleming (ned@networksplus.net)
Tue, 04 Aug 1998 03:25:35 GMT On Mon, 03 Aug 1998 10:46:07 +0000, Mario Taboada wrote:

>Ned Fleming:
>
><<I don't give a shit about the genre,
>
>The genre is the subject of this list. Much of what we say is from the
>perspective of the genre, past and present.

I understand. Someone has suggested that Willeford's "very special modus
operandi doesn't fit any established mold of crime writing," which may
put him above any criticism from rara-avis. How does one criticize
anything that doesn't fit any mold except that of some vague, undefined
"magical realism"? Hell, the "Wizard of Oz" is magical realism!

I might, on the other hand, suggest Willeford is truly hardboiled, his
writing is apropros rara-avis, his writing is absurd though
entertaining, and he isn't by any stretch a major writer. Some have
other ideas, which is OK, too.

When I say "I don't give a shit about the genre" it's only in the sense
of those who might elevate it into something it isn't: a kind of
glam-lit along the lines of F. Scott Fitzgerald. Willeford as the peer
of Fitzgerald. Man, that's a hoot.

>"Pulp" is a general term that covers a lot of authors, styles, and
>themes. The term by no means excludes "major" authors. From what I hear,
>Willeford did not think of himself as a lousy writer...

Willeford is dead and won't be remembered 50 years from now, except from
decaying paperback books. That's the case for most of those we read
here. Tough shit.

Mario: You might wish to reset the clock on your PC. You're posting the
answers before the questions.

--
Ned Fleming
#