Re: RARA-AVIS: Willeford

Ned Fleming (ned@networksplus.net)
Tue, 04 Aug 1998 01:44:58 GMT On Fri, 31 Jul 1998 23:02:08 +0000, Mario Taboada wrote:

>It's not for me to tell anyone how to read Willeford (or anything) - but
>if you do read him expecting realism and logical continuity you are
>setting yourself up for an almost sure disappointment. As someone

Cool beans. I don't require logical continuity, and Willeford certainly
obliges. He sends Hoke off on rabbit trails that end nowhere --
sometimes in the unknown swamps of Florida itself. OK by me. Hokey
dokey. Moseley moseys off into the never-neverland of the baking Florida
sun.

>pointed out (James Rogers?) he has more in common with the "magical
>realists" (Rulfo, Garcia Marquez) and even with certain absurdists
>(Queneau, Bioy Casares, Peter Handke) than with the hardboiled school of
>action that is the nominal subject of this list.

What is a "magical realist"? (Here's your chance to shine.) Is this
important or can I forget it now? There's *nothing* realistic about
Moseley. He's got his protagonist, the Hokester, out killing people in
cold blood and being promoted to lieutenant because of it. He's got his
average guys poisoning dogs with poison dollops of meat from hollow
canes. He's got his bad guys as psychopaths with slick but unconvincing
speeches. Where's the realism?

>By the way, _The Shark-Infested Custard_ is one of my favorite
>Willefords. His use of dialogue in this novel could serve as a textbook
>on the subject - it's perfectly nuanced and placed in each and every
>instance.

Yeah, he was good at writing dialog. Too bad he's dead.

--
Ned Fleming
#