Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: HB v. Noir, Monthly films, Palmetto

James Rogers (jetan@ionet.net)
Tue, 28 Jul 1998 23:58:44 -0500 (CDT) At 11:44 PM 7/28/98 -0500, James Reasoner wrote:

>I've read this comment before about James Hadley Chase but have never known
>the details of the case. Just how much of a plagiarist was he, and from
>which writers did he swipe? Anybody know?
>James Reasoner

Raymond Chandler, I believe, sued "Chase" for his plagarism at one
point. The offending novel was a British publication which was issued under
another name. The details, such as they are, are in the McShane bio of Chandler.
_No Orchids For Miss Blandish_, while not a straight steal, is about
as big a rip-off of _Sanctuary_ as one could hope to see. It is also a very
ineptly written book. Nontheless, I think it would be a good book for the
list simply because it was a mega-seller and had an impact on the genre.

James

James Michael Rogers
jetan@ionet.net

#