Re: RARA-AVIS: Block/Scudder

Reed Andrus (randrus@home.com)
Wed, 22 Jul 1998 08:12:34 -0700 Mark Sullivan wrote:

> Then I read Eight Million Ways to Die. What a change. The series went
> from beng slightly above average genre fare to top of the heap. And
> every one since has been of the same quality.
>
> I was just wondering if you were also finding a big contrast between the
> booksbefore and after 8 Million?
>
> Mark

My two cents. The Scudder series took off from the last line of
...SACRED GINMILL, hit overdrive with OUT ON THE CUTTING EDGE when
readers are first introduced to the absolutely superior supporting
character of Mick Ballou, and has not deteriorated since. Block is right
up there with Thomas H. Cook, Michael Connelly, Mary Willis Walker, and
a new addition -- Charles Todd -- as the best wordsmiths in
hardboiled/noir fiction. Ironically, just as I've never read any of
McBain's Matthew Hope novels, I have never read any of Block's other
series.

... Reed
#