RARA-AVIS: Cozies and hardboiled, and Pelcanos (was Unrelated ...)

ejm duggan (ejmd@mcmail.com)
Fri, 17 Jul 1998 09:43:42 -0700 On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, William Denton <buff@vex.net> wrote:

[SNIP]
> I saw _King Suckerman_, the new one by
> George Pelecanos. I know people have mentioned him here and he's
> well-liked - has anyone read this?

Guilty, M'lud.

I think it's the best Pelecanos yet (well, OK, the best of the few that
I've read).

That said, I still think the blurb writers/reviewers go a bit too far in
trying to outdo each other in showing unrestrained enthusiasm for
Pelecanos, especially the Stefanos novels.

There are problematic issues in _Suckerman_ around Pelecanos's
representation of masculinity, particularly sexuality.
Race may an issue for others.
It's so long since I wrote it I've forgotten *what* I wrote (though at
the time I did think it was quite good), but my thoughts on _King
Suckerman_'ll be included in the next issue of _Crime Time_

ED