Re: RARA-AVIS: Hard-boiled politics (Was: Short administrative

Larry Rickert (lrickert@ix.netcom.com)
Tue, 14 Jul 1998 13:29:35 +0000 Duane Spurlock wrote:

> Most of Howard's characters have some bit of hard-boiled about them. Bran
> Mac Morn is one. Solomon Kane is another, a dour hard-boiled Puritan
> obsessed with hunting down supernatural evils. It's been awhile since I
> last read Howard's "Gordon of the Desert" stories -- the character is based
> loosely on a Lawrence of Arabia figure, but also has elements of Talbot
> Mundy's JimGrim novels -- but I think you'd find some hard-boiled elements
> there, as well.
>
> I'm not familiar with Cormac Fitzgeoffrey. Who's he? -- Duane

Fitzgeoffrey was a crusader character featured in several Howard
tales set in the Outremer in the Holy Land. The tales were collected
in Grant's HAWKS OF THE OUTREMER, now out of print. He is one of
Howard's toughest and most ruthless characters.

Larry

Larry Rickert
PC Training and Consulting
lrickert@ix.netcom.com