Re: RARA-AVIS: Hammer of the Japs (War fear in mystery fiction)

Harry Levy (halevy@m1.sprynet.com)
Sun, 12 Jul 1998 15:26:58 -0400 At 05:56 PM 7/12/98 -0700, you wrote:

>Just a thought, but is the 'evidence' of spying merely 'gossip' or is
>there some verifiable evidence that spying actually took place?
>What I'm wondering is, did the local community *need* to tell itself
>such a story (or was the story planted to ensure that it was told?); in
>other words, is it a post-facto validation of the 'round-up' policy?

I believe there was very little documented evidence of Japanese-American
espionage. There were, however, allegations of economic motivation,
specifically that influential politicians (e.g., US Senator Knowland) were
able to acquire confiscated land and property at most favorable terms.
#