Re: RARA-AVIS: Short administrative note.

Teresa Cecchetti (marioter@bellatlantic.net)
Sun, 12 Jul 1998 13:20:52 -0400 Hi all,
First time post to this group. I'm enjoying 'It's Not a Pretty Sight' right
now and looking forward to joining your conversations.
A question:
Why the name rara-avis? My daughter has been to (and is about to go
again) to a resort in Costa Rica called Rara-avis, no electricity, no roads, you
must get in by train and mule. Is there a connection between the place in Costa
Rica and the name of your group?
I've been following the conversation that drifted into the subject of
Japanese interment. A good book that has a hardboiled protagonist journalist who
does investigate the crime, is 'Snow on Cedars' about the Japanese in the
northwest US and the aftermath of interment. Another book, not hardboiled, is
'Obassan' about the Canadian Japanese.
Teresa