Hardboiled & PI (was: Re: RARA-AVIS: Gary Phillips' new Monk)

ejm duggan (ejmd@mcmail.com)
Wed, 08 Jul 1998 09:38:22 -0700 On Tue, 07 Jul 1998, Mari Hall <found.dead.in.texas@airmail.net> wrote:

> I know this is supposed to be "hard boiled", but what is hard boiled if
> not a PI novel??

'Hardboiled' and 'PI' are not synonymous.
There's lots of PI stuff that's hardly boiled at all (remember the Shell
Scott thread a little while ago?); by the same token there's lots of
hardboiled material which has no PI at all---why only just the other day
someone here was discussing doucumentary photography as 'hardboiled'.
(OK, I know, someone is now gonna argue the photographer is the
investigative 'I'/'eye').

[SNIP]
> why would anyone nominate a woman whose first
> name ends in a vowel for a Shamus???

Perhaps it was a very nice vowel?

ED