Re: RARA-AVIS: Willeford bio

Diane Trap (trap@rhett.libs.uga.edu)
Fri, 3 Jul 1998 12:59:53 -0400 (EDT) > On Sun, 28 Jun 1998, Peter Vinet wrote:

> : Has anyone read Herron's biography "Willeford"? Is it recomended?
>
> There's been some talk on the list - check the February 1998 archives.
> I'd recommend it, certainly, but there are better books about
> Willeford to be written. Herron heisenbergs all over the book, which
> I found off-putting.

(snip)

> Bill

"Heisenbergs"? It's a new verb to me--what does it mean?

And a question about Willeford--I haven't read Burnt Orange Heresy
but I have read Shark-Infested Custard. The main characters are
four guys who can compile a list of why sheep are better than women
in the time it takes them to crack open a beer. Is this attitude
peculiar to:

--Willeford?

--bachelor guys in the early seventies?

--these particular characters?

Reading the book was very educational. I remember thinking, "So
*that's* why there was a women's movement!"

I'm not saying the book was bad or that Willeford is a bad writer--
on the contrary, the characters were very effective, and their
self-destruction, or maybe devolution, held my attention like a
train wreck. I'd just like to know what to expect from another
one of Willeford's books.

-----Diane Trap
trap@rhett.libs.uga.edu
#