Re: RARA-AVIS: _The Burnt Orange Heresy_

Maki Nakada (makihna@ga2.so-net.or.jp)
Fri, 3 Jul 1998 06:44:04 +0900 (JST) At 6:02 PM 98.7.1, William Denton wrote:

> I don't know which one I consider his masterpiece, but this could well
> be it. Don't be shy about talking about him - what do you think makes
> it so great? And are there translations of Willeford's books into
> Japanese?

There are 5 novels translated to Japanese:

MIAMI BLUES from Sogen-sha,1987
NEW HOPE FOR THE DEAD from Fuso-sha,1988
SIDE SWIPE from Fusosha,1989
THE WAY WE DIE NOW fom Fusosha, 1992
THE SHARK-INFESTED CUSTARD from Fusosha, 1996

these are appeared in WILLEFORD by Don Herron, part three;
In Print.

In Japan, the movies Quentin Trantino concerned with have
been popular. I guess some readers of Willeford knew his
name by readking artichles about Tarantino.

I just stared to re-read THE BURNT ORANGE HERESY, but
2 things I could tell even now;

While I read this book, I had been ppossessed by the paint,
even no one seen.
Willeford can describe things' color, shape, even smell so
materialistic, I had been thinking about the paint all time.

I hated Figueras although I understood him , wanted to be him.
It was very queerfeeling. I can say the same thing almost all
Willeford's maincharacters.

> A couple of things I like about the book:

> - the knowledge Willeford has about the art world, painting, dealing
> and criticism. It's amazing the things he knows. Cockfighting,
> selling cars, making movies, marketing silver flatware - you expect
> crime writers to know about cops, but putting over a fake "Nihilstic
> Surrealist" artist, complete with body of criticism, takes real
> talent. I've lent the book to a couple of artists and they loved it.

Yes. His statements about arts are very vivid even they are Abststractionism.

> And then there's the plot, which is very ingenious, and the writing,
> which is perfect Willeford.

I agree with you.
I try to write more later.

Maki