RARA-AVIS: George Pelecanos

ejm duggan (ejmd@mcmail.com)
Thu, 25 Jun 1998 11:34:16 -0700 On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, etienne@singnet.com.sg (Etienne Borgers) wrote:

> After hearing much hype about Pelecanos' hard-boiled novels, I finally could
> read 'Shoedog'- as I had difficulties to find his other works.

You should be able to get them easily from Amazon.com

Although I haven't read it, I understand that _Shoedog_ is something of
a departure for Pelecanos (I believe there are one or two other
'departures', though I don't have the titles to hand) inasmuch as it is
(and they are) not part of the Stefanos series.

> Just before sending this posting, I found an interview of Pelecanos saying
> that in this book he wanted to write in a way old pulps were. And he cites
> Jim Thomson and David Goodis as models for it. Ambitious, but totally out of
> proportion when looking at what Pelecanos delivers in Shoedog!

Oh dear! It sounds like Pelecanos might be spending too much time
reading his own cover blurbs! The spirits of Thompson and Goodis --- as
well as the ubiquitously blurbed Hammett --- are constantly invoked on
Pelecanos's covers. Somewhat erroneously, I would suggest.

> I hope that 'Shoedog' is just a false step in Pelecanos' career and that his
> Stefanos novels are of better value... and I would like to know the feeling
> of RARA followers about them.

After reading the first Stefanos novel I think Pelecanos is vastly
over-rated. The most recent novel, _King Suckerman_ is more
interesting: the narrative structure is akin to that of Quentin
Tarantino and makes for a quite interesting read. As for Pelecanos's
representation of black experience, of masculinity and male sexuality, a
whole range of problems arise. _King Suckerman_ is marketed as part of
the post-modern raid on the so-called 'blaxploitation' texts of the
1970s and it has the requisite references to popular culture and black
style (again, cf Tarantino).

I would certainly recommend _King Suckerman_ as an interesting read, and
as Pelecanos's most interesting work to date, but don't go in with your
expectations *too high* and you won't be disappointed.

BTW, keep an eye out for an interesting article on _King Suckerman_ in
_Crimetime_ 2.2

ED