Re: RARA-AVIS: [Fwd: Detectives]

James Rogers (jetan@ionet.net)
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 18:57:52 -0500 (CDT) At 02:12 PM 6/16/98 -0400, you wrote:

>If I told you that I was going to give you a detective story for your
>birthday, and you unwrapped a Dick Tracy comic, what would your reaction
>be?

I'd love it if it were one of the old Chester Gould thingies. No
one could draw a rotting corpse like Gould. Actually, it's amazing that he
could get away with all the stuff he did. I don't think he could do it
today. Really violent strip.
Now that I think on it, there's a lot of suff out now that ain't as
"hard-boiled" as some of those old strips....particularly in portraying the
increasing terror and desperation of the villains as, week after week, they
tried to escape the narrowing police cordon. Mickey Spillane never killed
his crooks off any more sadistically than Tracy did.
By the way, thanks to whoever it was who passed on the URL for the
CRIMEBOSS page.
James
James Michael Rogers
jetan@ionet.net