Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V2 #328

Words from the Monastery (jackechs@erols.com)
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 12:47:53 -0400 Wasn't he Chief of Detectives? The police use the term as well and probably
before the private kind did ... but maybe not.

Lawrence R. (Dick) Tartow, M.D. wrote:

> The other day, someone gave as the origin of the word "dick" as in
> detective as coming from Dick Tracy. Not close and no cigar. "dick" in
> the sense of detective, comes from the word 'detective' itself,
> shortened and altered.
>
> Tracy wasn't a detective anyway, he was a cop.
>
> --
> Tartow
>
> #

volente Deo,

Anthony http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/4640/
I'm on a mission from God ... ... so I've made a deal with the devil!