RARA-AVIS: Re: Kinky Friedman

Joe Kraus (j-kraus@nwu.edu)
Sun, 14 Jun 1998 21:53:34 -0500 Daniel,

I got to be a Kinky fan through his early recordings. I always figured it
was parody, but he's kept it going so long that I'm not so sure any more.

I've read just "Greenwich Killing Time" myself (and I remember liking it
more than I thought I would) but a friend just brought me back a signed
copy of "Road Kill," the latest. It says Kinky's written 10 books now, but
lists only "Greenwich...," "The Love Song of J. Edgar Hoover" (one of the
great book titles I know), "God Bless John Wayne," "Armadillos & Old Lace,"
and "Elvis, Jesus & Coca-Cola." I don't know the other four titles.

What I really recommend, though, is the music. Check out the first album,
"Kinky Friedman" and another one from the '70s, "Sold American." I can't
say they're hard-boiled at all, but they're as clever as the one book I
read and they're solid outlaw country.

Joe Kraus
Northwestern University

#