Re: RARA-AVIS: Lew Archer/Lew Arless

Etienne Borgers (etienne@singnet.com.sg)
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 00:23:21 +0800 At 04:02 PM 14-06-98 +0000, you wrote:
>Can anyone help me with this? I have a 1954 edition of "The Moving
>Target" by John Ross Macdonald - ie Ross Macdonald - published by
>Pan in the UK in which Lew Archer is renamed as Lew Arless. I've
>not seen this again and wonder if anyone else has come accross
>it or can explian it?

I do not know why it was renamed in UK, maybe another character existing at
the time with the same name (in UK...). But here is another case where
Archer lost his name!
In the films made from MacDonald's novels, Paul Newman playing the PI
character renamed there Lew Harper!!
Explanation: it seems that Newman was believing in these days that H was a
kind of lucky letter for his career, after the big hits that were -THE
HUSTLER and -HUD on the screen.
Harper-Newman movies:
HARPER (1966) -by Jack Smight; from The moving Target, screenplay by
William Goldman
THE DROWNING POOL (1975) by Stuart Rosenberg

E.Borgers

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384

#