Re: RARA-AVIS: Leigh Brackett

Etienne Borgers (etienne@singnet.com.sg)
Sat, 13 Jun 1998 20:58:55 +0800 At 12:20 AM 13-06-98 -0700, Ed Duggan wrote:
>On Fri, 12 Jun 1998, michael david sharp <msharp@umich.edu> wrote:
>
>> On another subj., does anyone know where I can find a list of Leigh
>> Brackett's crime stories?
>
>I had a look in a few things here, but no luck (brief section on LB in
>Haut's _Pulp Culture_ mentions two novels, _Tiger Among Us_ and _No Good
>from a Corpse_).

I found the following to complete the list:
An Eye for an Eye (1957)
Silent partner (1969)

A curiosity: she was the "ghost" for George Sanders (the actor) and wrote
his novel 'Stanger at Home' (1946)

She was more involved with science-fiction novels and short stories.
However she will remain as one of the most important writers for film Noir
by her collaboration with Howard Hawks for the script of "The big sleep".
There are also three westerns she wrote for Hawks that in my opinion have
all the carachteristics of HB novels [...the hats are different :)].
To add to this palmares, her brilliant adaptation of The Long Goodbye for
Robert Altman- a great film as well!

Leigh Brackett was, IMHO, one of the very rare female writers who
understood the HB/Noir genre and who was able to add high quality works to it.

Could some of the followers inform me about possible biographies of this
author, for so far such books are existing.

E.Borgers

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384

#