RARA-AVIS: Critics/Tough Guy Writers of the Thirties

sarah matthews (ejmd@mcmail.com)
Tue, 09 Jun 1998 11:02:35 -0700 On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, James Rogers <jetan@ionet.net> wrote:

> Matthew Bruccoli is better known as a Fitzgerald critic from
> the academic community, but when called upon he can usually say some good
> stuff regarding Chandler and Hammett. Philip Durham and David Madden have
> both written interesting things, and I imagine that several of the people on
> the list have encountered them in the collection of essays titled _Tough Guy
> Writers Of The Thirties_ (actually, Bruccolli may have piece in that one too).

Indeedy-deedy-do. _Tough Guy Writers of the Thirties_ edited by David
Madden (Southern Illinois University Press, 1968) is an essential
collection. I have a copy of the 1977 reprint that I picked up via the
internet for about $10.00.

Bruccoli's contribution is a short piece on John O'Hara's _Appointment
in Samarra_.
The collection has essays on Hammett, The _Black Mask_ school, James M.
Cain, Hemingway, Horace McCoy, Chandler and Jim Thompson, among others.

Bruccoli is also, I think, a publisher (and bibliographer of Chandler?),
and I believe is as associate of Richard Layman, compiler of the Hammett
bibliography and author of the Hammet biography, _Shadowman_.

Eddie Duggan
<www.ejmd.mcmail.com>