Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Raymond / Robin Cook

Etienne Borgers (etienne@singnet.com.sg)
Tue, 9 Jun 1998 13:43:27 +0800 (SGT) THE INFORMATION GIVEN IN MARK SULLIVAN'S MESSAGE IS PRETTY ACCURATE.
ROBIN COOK'S BIBLIOGRAPHY IS COMPLICATED BY THE FACT HE LIVED 17 YEARS IN
FRANCE, WHERE A LOT OF HIS WORKS WERE PUBLISHED THERE IN FRENCH TRANSLATION
FIRST, BEFORE THE UK VERSION.

I'LL INTERLACE COMPLEMENT OF INFO INTO MARK'S TEXT. I TRUST THIS WILL HELP
TO COMPLETE THE LIST:

>Okay, here's what I've managed to put together on Derek Raymond/Robin
>Cook.
>
>First he wrote a number of books as Robin Cook:
>1962--The Crust on Its Uppers
>1963--Bombe Surprise
>1966--The Legacy of the Stiff Upper Lip
>1969--Private Parts in Public Places (US title, in UK--1967--Public
>Parts and Private Places)
>1970--A State of Denmark
>1971--Tenants of Dirt Street
>Somewhere (Hidden Files, I think) I saw a passing reference to a book
>called The Inmates, but have seen no other mention. Anybody know
>anything about it?

NO TRACES FOUND...

[SNIPPED]
>Le Soleil Qui S'Eteint (I don't know the date, but this was published
>only in France. According to an intro in the first Fresh Blood
>anthology, "He regarded it as a pot-boiler that had simply eased him
>back into writing after his long layoff during the seventies").

PUBLISHED IN FRANCE ONLY, IN 1982 IN 'SERIE NOIRE' BY GALLIMARD.
WAS PROJECTED AS "SICK TRANSIT", TITLE FOR ITS POSSIBLE UK VERSION, BUT
NEVER WAS PUBLISHED THERE.

>1984--He Died With His Eyes Open
>1985--The Devil's Home on Leave
>1986--How the Dead Live (his obituary mentioned that this was his 9th
>book, which raises the question about Inmates, possibly an alternative
>title?)

>Cauchemar Dans La Rue (I think this goes here. In Hidden Files, Raymond
>mentions a book written between the first three factory novels and Dora
>Suarez. Published in France. The first chapter in English is in the
>1st Fresh Blood as Nightmare In The Street. Is the whole thing going to
>be published? he asked hopefully.)

PUBLISHED IN FRANCE IN 1988 BY RIVAGES. NO ENGLISH EDITION.

>1990--I Was Dora Suarez
>1992--Hidden Files--not fiction and, subtitle notwithstanding, not
>really an autobiography, though it does contain many revealing stories
>from his life. Instead, it is a long rumination on what Raymond calls
>"the black novel," his own and those of others. Talks a lot about Dora
>Suarez, where it came from and how writing it affected him, causing a
>nervous breakdown.
>1993--Dead Man Upright
>1994--Not Till the Red Fog Rises

>1994--Every Day is a Day in August--short story, published posthumously
>in the short-lived Purr magazine, which dates it to between drafts of
>Dora Suarez. I think it was also collected into the London Noir
>anthology.
THIS IS A RATHER LONG SHORT STORY; PUBLISHED FIRST IN FRANCE IN 1990

>Except for the French books, Hidden Files and Red Fog, all of the novels
>from this later period are in the Factory series.
FROM MY OWN SOURCES, THE FACTORY SERIES COVERS HIS PRODUCTION FROM 1983 TO
1994, AND IT SEEMS INCLUDING 'NOT TILL THE RED FROG RISES'

>SNIPPED
>

>Hope this helps anyone interested in Raymond/Cook. Please let me know
>anything I am missing.
>
>Mark

SHORT STORIES:

'BRAND NEW DEAL' IN LONDON NOIR/1994
OTHERS WERE PUBLISHED IN FRANCE, AS WELL AS PREFACES AND GENERAL TEXTS.

FILMS:

TWO NOVELS WERE ADAPTED FOR FILMS IN FRANCE:
-ON NE MEURT QUE DEUX FOIS- BY JACQUES DERAY- 1985
(FROM: HE DIES WITH HIS EYES OPEN)
-LES MOIS D'AVRIL SONT MEUTRIERS- BY LAURENT HEYNEMANN- 1986
(FROM: THE DEVIL'S HOME ON LEAVE)

COOK REMAINS AS ONE OF THE GREAT NOIR AUTHORS AND IT IS A REAL PITY HIS WORK
NEVER FOUND A GOOD AUDIENCE IN THE USA.

E.BORGERS
HARD-BOILED MYSTERIES
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384