Re: RARA-AVIS: Stone's _A Long Reach_

Mari Hall (found.dead.in.texas@airmail.net)
Tue, 02 Jun 1998 14:17:27 -0500 William Denton wrote:

> Well, it's the time of the month for the new book, and this month it's
> Michael Stone's _A Long Reach_.
> but not one of my nerves has been wracked.
>
> way he goes about it is fine. Still, it just doesn't yank my collar
> and say, "Read me." It's just sort of there. When this happens I
> wonder if it's because I've been reading the book in short bursts
> while commuting, but a good book should be able to get over that.
>
> I can't remember who suggested this - evidently there are varying
> tastes on here :) - but someone must have liked it. Any comments?

I think it might have been me or maybe Gary Warren (to suggest it)--we
both like PI's and the premise is a fine one; however, and this is a big
however, it didn't grab me as I thought it would. I like Mike Stone so
much as a person that I thought maybe the disappointment was that I
didn't go ga-ga over it; maybe I hyped it to much in my own mind and
then didn't find it as good as I expected.

#