Re: RARA-AVIS: Ellroy's "Contino"

Ned Fleming (ned@networksplus.net)
Wed, 06 May 1998 02:31:47 GMT This is the third time I've read "Dick Contino's Blues," and I enjoyed
it immensely -- the first two times. Less so, this time. I'd say the
style is analogous to "White Jazz," which is his best work, in my
opinion, but DC's Blues suffers from the shortness of the story and the
hurry-up job he pulled at the end.

Someone asked what happened at the end of "High Darktown." Well, I'd
like to know, too, if anyone wants to put something forth. Seems like
the voodoo guy just started chopping with his tommy gun, for no apparent
reason.

On Tue, 5 May 1998 03:13:10 EDT, Upliftr wrote:

[snip]

>Back to Ellroy, I think the purest way to 'get' him is to hear him read it.
>Once heard him read the first chapter of "American Tabloid" and it rocked.
>Made white hot sense.

I couldn't agree more. If you get a chance to see him perform, do so. I
heard him perform his shtick of the prologue and first chapter of
"American Tabloid" at Kansas City's "Writers' Place" a couple of years
ago. It was hilarious. He called himself "The Boss Dog with the hog
log," and made a gesture that would indicate he favored his father's
side of the family in physical attributes (see: "My Dark Places"). There
was a Q&A afterwards, and a gentle old lady asked why he used so many
dirty words. He just said that was the way he talked, and he called
himself the best "fuck" man in the business. He's kind of hulking guy
with a Nazi moustache and haircut. I got an autographed copy of "LA
Confidential" and asked him to inscribe something Dud Smith might say.
He wrote: THIS BOOK RAGES! Nah, Dud Smith wouldn't say that. He writes
his books long-hand and faxes them to some lady in New York to type up.
She must be good because his handwriting -- ALL CAPS -- is terrible.

I'd recommend reading the LA quartet in order, to see his style progress
if for no other reason, if anyone is interested in further Ellroy
readings. I think each one is better than the one previous. I can't say
I really liked "American Tabloid," simply because I don't believe all
that conspiracy crap about the JFK assassination.

--
Ned Fleming
#