Re: RARA-AVIS: Ellroy's "Contino"

James & Livia Reasoner (liviajames@itexas.net)
Tue, 5 May 1998 00:55:51 -0500 Bill Hagen wrote:

> It's after Mayday and is anyone doing _Hollywood Nocturnes_? Wife
snagged
> the book first and wouldn't let me at it till she finished, so I've only
> read through the long, long "Dick Contino's Blues."
>
> My first reaction was whatthehell?
>
> Second, reaction: ok, a series of riffs, a jam of different instrumental
> styles. But too long for what he's doing! Going through a black humor
> phase, maybe: reading Ishmael Reed (_Mumbo Jumbo_ ), trying to write like
> Thomas Pynchon. Some of it ok, but much of it very thin stream of
> consciousness stuff. Goes through your system fast. Written fast, I'd
> guess. And this is 1/3rd of the book!
>
> A little negativity to kick things off.

I haven't read any of Ellroy's novels yet, so maybe some of you who have
can answer this question. Is his style in "Dick Contino's Blues" the same
as he uses in _White Jazz_? I've heard a lot of comments about the
stripped-down style in that book.

I've read all the stories in _Hollywood Nocturnes_ and liked the older ones
better, although I enjoyed "Dick Contino's Blues", too. I thought the
ending was awfully rushed, as was also the case in "High Darktown" (I'm
still not sure exactly what happened in the end of that story) and "Dial
Axminster 6-400". "Since I Don't Have You" was my favorite story in the
book. I liked Buzz Meeks (isn't he in one of the novels?), and this story
has one of the finest final lines I've ever read. I have *got* to read
those LA Quartet novels. I have the first three, still looking for _White
Jazz_.

James Reasoner
#