RARA-AVIS: Probably more than anyone wants to now about crack, crank, speed and why to avoid them

Lawrence R. (goldensam@sprintmail.com)
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 15:55:37 -0400 >

> Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 12:49:39 -0700
> Subject: RARA-AVIS: doing crank
>
> On Tue, 28 Apr 1998, "Levin, Doug" <DLEVIN@DIRECTIMPACT.COM> wrote:
>
> > Crank is a term for methamphetamine (sp?), also known as crystal meth,
> > or speed.
>
> I'm not sure that meth is exactly the same as speed. Someone (Bill?)
> said 'crank is to speed as crack is to coke'

Not really. Crank is homemade methamphetamine and is the same as the stuff made but drug
companies, although probably not quite as pure and sterile

Crack is a derivative of cocaine with even worse side effects. Hits faster and wears off
faster, hence need more frequent doses to stay high. The easy availability and low price
of crack has made it a much more devastating and disruptive drug than cocaine, which is
more expensive and upscale.

> so I would imagine that
> crank is a sort of 'super speed' rather than bog-standard amphetemene
> sulphate. I wonder if there's an FAQ? (hey, hang on---is there a doctor
> on the list?)

Hello, but don't make house calls anymore.

Speed is generic term for "uppers" which is to say Anorexients/CNS Stimulants; Appetite
Suppressants; Central Nervous System Agents; Psychostimulants;
Respiratory/Cerebral Stimulant; Stimulants
There are two brand names: Desoxyn; Methampex, but as noted, one can make it at home.

It is suppose to be for weight loss, but it doesn't do diddly-squat and suburbia has for
years spawned sweet young things hooked on speed by their Mamas who wanted them to be
skinny and marriageable. Used also for Attention Deficit Disorder, but not the best drug
for that, either.

Too much is definitely not good for health or longevity:
Controlled Substance:
Methamphetamine HCl is subject to control under DEA
schedule II.

Abuse:
Methamphetamine HCl has been extensively abused. Tolerance, extreme psychological
dependence, and severe social disability have occurred. There are reports of patients
who have increased the dosage to many times that recommended. Abrupt cessation following
prolonged high dosage administration results in extreme fatigue and mental
depression; changes are also noted on the sleep EEG. Manifestations of chronic
intoxication with methamphetamine include severe dermatoses, marked insomnia,
irritability,
hyperactivity, and personality changes. The most severe manifestation of chronic
intoxication is psychosis often clinically indistinguishable from schizophrenia.

Overdosage

Manifestations of acute overdosage with methamphetamine include restlessness, tremor,
hyperreflexia, rapid respiration, confusion, assaultiveness, hallucinations, panic
states,
hyperpyrexia, and rhabdomyolysis. Fatigue and depression usually follow the central
stimulation. Cardiovascular effects include arrhythmias, hypertension or hypotension, and

circulatory collapse. Gastrointestinal symptoms include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and
abdominal cramps. Fatal poisoning usually terminates in convulsions and coma.

Not the greatest stuff to bring on a picnic or to a pot-luck supper.

> I once knew a young lady who was rather fond of speed.
> It is, apparently, quite good for the complexion and the figure

Only thing it does for the complexion is to cause a rash sometimes. No lasting effect on
figure either.

> . This,
> presumably, why it is popular among young ladies. I believe
> prescription tablets for obesity (appetite suppressants) have a similar
> effect. Other effects apparently include staying awake and incessant
> chattering; I think also that in gentlemen the libido subsides.

Libidos subside in ladies as well as gentlemen with methamphetamine, but for men it has
the charming additional side effect of impotence (libido=desire to have sex, potency
=ability to have erection)

> I always took "speed" to refer to a whole range of stimulants, many of
> which were prescribed for for weight loss to housewives in the fifties.

Yep, but not limited to fifties.

> (I believe the American over-the-counter diet aid, dexatrim, refers to
> >the presciption stimulant dexetrine (?))

Nope. Dexadrine is the brand name for dextroamphetamine, a cousin of
methamphetamine.Dexatrim, the over the counter stuff is just a brand name wannabe. It is
actually similar to epinephrin (adrenaline) and is also used as a nasal decongestant.
Its generic name is phenylpropanolamine and it is also peddled as Accutrim, and Rhindecon
(when sold as a nasal decongestant.)

> . Dan Quayle became quite upset by a dictionary definition of a Hoosier as an "ignorant
> rustic."

Whyever? for him that's a compliment.

Safest way to lose weight without dieting is to follow advice of Sugar Ray Robinson:
when asked how he got his weight down for a fight he replied: "You can eat anything you
like, so long as you don't swallow it."

Dick Tartow

#