RARA-AVIS: hoosier daddy / teaching crime fiction

michael david sharp (msharp@umich.edu)
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 11:59:48 -0400 (EDT) > The line from the Zombies song is "What's your name?/Who's your daddy?"
> Granted there's a phononetic similarity with Hoosier, but I doubt Rod
> Argent (the songwriter) spent a great deal of time in Indiana.

Does NO ONE out there have an irony/humor detector?

Just turned in grades for my American Crime Fiction class, a class which,
if you are a professor, I highly recommend teaching. A total blast. The
kids loved the reading, and even when they hated it they had tons of
(often) fascinating stuff to say about it. It was so great to see people
read hard-boiled fiction with completely fresh eyes. I know I'm a decent
teacher, but I swear the class taught itself. I just sort of showed up and
directed traffic. I took a poll at the end of the term.

Top five stories: 1. "Human Interest Stuff" by Brett Halliday (despite, or
perhaps because of, my extended -- and I might add hilarious -- gay
reading of the story), 2. "Black Pudding" by David Goodis, 3. "The
Scorched Face" by Dashiell Hammett, 4. "So Pale, So Cold, So Fair" by
Leigh Brackett (my new favoritest writer), 5. "Piece of Ground" by Helen
Nielsen [primary text for course was Pronzini and Adrian's *Hard-Boiled*
though we read stories from other sources as well]. WORST STORY:
"Corollary" by Hughes Allison (first EQMM story w/ black detective working
in black community -- racial focus wasn't the problem -- they loved Himes
and Mosley -- they just didn't think Allison was a good writer. I tend to
agree)

Top two novels: *The Talented Mr. Ripley* by Patricia Highsmith and *Devil
in a Blue Dress* by Walter Mosley. WORST novel: *Ride the Pink Horse* by
Dorothy Hughes (my class and I part ways on this one)

I'm going to teach this class or a version of it every chance I get. By
the way, I'm working on putting together a conference panel on Chandler
and his infl. on Amer. Culture -- still in the earliest planning stages --
with the eventual goal being a published collection of essays on the
subject. It will be a challenge a. to find enough qualified and interested
contributors, and b. to find contributors whose academic writing I don't
find completely disagreeable. Anyway, if you are interested or have ideas,
questions, or suggestions, just email me. More later.

Michael D. Sharp Email: msharp@umich.edu
Department of English Lang. and Lit. Phone: (313) 761-8776
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor Fax: (313) 763-3128