RE: RARA-AVIS: doing crank

Andy Hughes (AHughes@sbtinfo.com)
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 09:14:05 -0500 James,

The line from the Zombies song is "What's your name?/Who's your daddy?"
Granted there's a phononetic similarity with Hoosier, but I doubt Rod
Argent (the songwriter) spent a great deal of time in Indiana. The term,
by the way, has several folklore origins attached to it. The most
popular is that the word started as "Who's there?" and was used when
someone knocked on the door. Dan Quayle became quite upset by a
dictionary definition of a Hoosier as an "ignorant rustic." As an
Easterner now living in Indiana, I can't say the indigenous population
has done an exceptional job of disproving the dictionary.
Also, sorry for going so far off topic, but the Zombies are one of my
favorite '60s groups.
Andy