Re: RARA-AVIS: Richard S. Prather's Shell Scott

James & Livia Reasoner (liviajames@itexas.net)
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 22:27:46 -0500 Bill Denton wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, James & Livia Reasoner wrote:
>
> : I've read all the Shell Scott novels but none of Prather's other
> : work. (There's not much non-Scott stuff, a couple of novels and
> : maybe some short stories). The funniest PI novel I ever read was
> : Prather's _Strip For Murder_.
>
> Was that the one set in a nudist camp?

Yep, that's it. And you didn't even mention the hot air balloon. It must
be twenty-five years or more since I read that book, and I remember that
scene perfectly.

> Here are some of the Shell Scott titles listed inside _Dagger of
> Flesh_(!), which isn't a Scott: _Darling, It's Death_, _Always Leave
> 'Em Dying_, _Three's a Shroud_, _Take a Murder, Darling_, _Have Gat -
> Will Travel_, _The Scrambled Yeggs_, _Dig That Crazy Grave_, _The
> Wailing Frail_, _Slab Happy_ and _Kill the Clown_. The man had a way
> with titles.
>
> _Everybody Had a Gun_ was a lot of fun. I'm going to pick up any
> other Prather books I see.

Glad you mentioned the titles. Now nobody can say they weren't warned. It
seems to me that Prather must have been influenced by Robert Leslie
Bellem's Dan Turner. I like Bellem, but I think Prather was a better
writer, and some of the Shell Scott novels actually have some serious
moments in them.

Prather and Stephen Marlowe did one of the first mysteries to cross-over
characters from different series with _Double in Trouble_, which featured
Prather's Shell Scott and Marlowe's Chester Drum. Good stuff.

James
#