Re: RARA-AVIS: Mike Shayne question

James & Livia Reasoner (liviajames@itexas.net)
Mon, 27 Apr 1998 22:32:30 -0500 I've been off-line for a while due to a variety of technical problems, so I
have some catching up to do.

Duane Spurlock wrote:

> I have a question about our old red-headed P.I. pal from Miami, Mike
> Shayne.
>
> Were the novelets from Mike Shayne's Mystery Magazine ever published in
> book form, or were their magazine appearances their only publication?

Two of the Shayne stories from MSMM were reprinted in paperback
anthologies:
"Death Dives Deep", from MSMM Jan. '59 (written by Robert Arthur) was
reprinted in _Mike Shayne's Torrid Twelve_, edited by Leo Margulies, Dell
First Edition K109, 1961
"Death of a Dead Man", from MSMM June '63 (written by Dennis Lynds) was
reprinted in _Mink is for a Minx_, also edited by Leo Margulies, Dell 5642,
1964
These are pretty good anthologies of stories from MSMM, including ones by
Hal Ellson, Talmage Powell, Frank Kane, Robert Bloch, Richard Deming, Henry
Slesar, and Jonathan Craig, among others.

A couple of Davis Dresser's full-length Shayne novels were serialized in
the magazine: _Weep for a Blonde_ (Feb., Apr., June '57) and _The Body Came
Back_ (Dec. '63, Jan. and Feb. '64). Also _Target: Mike Shayne_ (MSMM,
Apr. '59) and _The Homicidal Virgin_ (MSMM, Oct. '60), both by Dresser,
were later expanded into novels of the same names. Lynds' story "The
Friendly Corpse" (MSMM Sept. '62) was expanded into the novel _Too
Friendly, Too Dead_.

> Related to that, were the Mike Shayne paperbacks always original novels,
or
> did they sometimes feature cases reprinted from the magazine?

Except for the two stories listed above, none of the magazine Shaynes have
ever been reprinted to my knowledge.

James Reasoner
#