RARA-AVIS: What is a P.I.?

Lawrence R. (goldensam@sprintmail.com)
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 14:03:12 -0400 Mario Taboada wrote:

> Do Joe Gores's DKA novels fit the P.I. genre?
DKA is a detective agency.

-------P.I.'s work for agencies: See Red Harvest among others

Who said Easy Rawlins is a P.I.? Certainly not licensed.

-------Neither is Matt Scudder, who says they have to be licensed?

> Dave Robicheaux is a cop (though he was out of the police for a
> while). A cop cannot possibly be a P.I.

-------Dave Scudder is OFF the police force. And as noted licenses, and
fake badges, have --------nothing whatever to do with who is a P.I.

Again, Robicheaux is not licensed, but he's not a cop any more; I got
the impression that he was still carrying a badge although I don't think

he can according to Louisiana law, unless he "retired". I liked his
first wife much better than "Bootsie"

------so did Dave, but she got killed and I don't think he's the
necrophiliac type

and a sight better than the "little guy" (who's a girl)

-------but his love for his adopted daughter is not the same as his love
for either his late or -------his present wife. I don't think he is
interested in incest either.

And has anyone looked at Charles Kneif with his John Caine character who

is a PI? But sure not "noir". The last book (SAND DOLLARS) I was a
trifle disappointed in (three explicit sex scenes-

-------Oh Horror, oh Shame!! Sex!!! Pass the Smelling Salts!!! I am
going to swoon

makes it romance by
any name even if he won the PI Contest for the first one)
- --

--
Dick Tartow
"Always do right---this will gratify some and astonish the rest."