Re: RARA-AVIS: Da nah nah ne nah ne nah....BATMAN!

Reed Andrus (randrus@home.com)
Mon, 20 Apr 1998 22:07:24 -0700 James Stephenson wrote:

> Kevin mentioned some volumes of Batman short stories; there are three
> that I know of, all edited by Martin H. Greenberg. The stories vary
> wildly in quality. My favorite story from these anthologies is Stewart
> M. Kaminsky's "The Batman memos." Kaminsky's story is told indirectly,
> through interdepartmental memos from Jack Warner, and members of his
> staff. It seems Warner Brothers wants to make a movie of Batman's
> exploits and is dealing with Batman's agent Bruce Wayne, who's just
> arrived in Hollywood. There's a kidnapping, which is apparently solved
> by Batman, but it's not clear--the only hint is a puzzling note from a
> night watchman who makes reference to a man "dressed like an umbrella"
> skulking around the corridors.
>
> Finally, I'll mention that Joe R. Lansdale has written a couple of
> Batman novels, and the one that I read, _Batman, Captured by the
> Engines_, is really pretty good. This novel is closer to some of
> Lansdale's more wild horror novels (like _The Drive-In_), and Batman is
> almost ignored to the point of becoming a supporting character in his
> own novel. Still well worth seeking out.
> --
> James Stephenson
> Rare Books & Special Collections Cataloger
> McKeldin Library
> University of Maryland
> College Park, MD 20742
> Mailto:js272@umail.umd.edu

Gawd, I need to get my collection out of boxes and onto shelves again,
so I can quit relying strictly on feeble memory! Of the three Batman
original anthologies edited by Martin Greenburg, there is one story in
which Joe Lansdale joins Batman with his own character, The Lord of the
Razor. It is one of the best noir stories I've read in recent time, and
I'd say I'd like to see more but that would just dilute the power of the
one and only.

... Reed Andrus
Phoenix, AZ (rising)
#