Re: RARA-AVIS: Greenleaf, Valin, Pepe and P.I. Poll Results (so far)

Reed Andrus (randrus@home.com)
Mon, 20 Apr 1998 21:41:25 -0700 Kevin Smith wrote:

> > I unhesitatingly recommend THE LIME PIT, FINAL NOTICE and DEAD LETTER to
> > any members of this list.
>
> Then again, I'm surprised that Jonathan Valin's Harry Stoner hasn't
> placed at all, having been replaced by some of the newer, shinier eyes.
> Like Greenleaf, Valin has left us some powerful books, and some even
> more harrowing scenes (Life's Work and The Lime Pit come to mind).

Problem is that the Valin books you mention are early ones. One of the
other posts said that Harry Stoner's doesn't develop through the series.
I say it's just the opposite -- Stoner developed, all right, but to a
softer, less violent private eye. I've mourned Valin's changes in
storyline and primary character for several years.

... Reed Andrus
Phoenix, AZ (rising)
#