Re: RARA-AVIS: Picking at the Falcon

Mari Hall (found.dead.in.texas@airmail.net)
Mon, 20 Apr 1998 10:02:04 -0500 Bill Hagen wrote:

> I was rereading _The Maltese Falcon_, getting ready to teach it, and ran
> across a couple of puzzling statements in the conversation between Spade
> and Cairo, after he disarmed and roughed Cairo up a bit (Chapt. 5). They
> are talking about the ownership of the bird, Cairo claims his unnamed party
> had it before it was stolen from him and therefore that his right to it is
> "certainly more valid than Thursby's."
>
> Then, curiously, Spade asks, "What about his daughter?" Thursby, of
> course, is dead at this point, but I don't believe any daughter has been
> mentioned. [Gutman has a daughter, but he hasn't been introduced into any
> conversation yet.]
>
> Then after asserting "he" is not the owner, Cairo asks "Is he here in San
> Franciso now?"
>
> I guess the "he" must be Gutman, a man Cairo fears, but how did Spade know
> to ask the question about the daughter in the first place? Where does that
> come from? We're supposed to accept it as a shot in the dark? Or did the
> author "nod" here?
>
> Is this a slip in one of our favorite classics?
>
> Bill Hagen
> <billha@ionet.net>
>
> #
> # To unsubscribe, say "unsubscribe rara-avis" to majordomo@icomm.ca.
> # The web pages for the list are at http://www.vex.net/~buff/rara-avis/.

Bill, if you are just finding this "slip" you have been "nodding" <g>.
Just remember in the words of the great Bob Wade "you can't outline
Chandler" and in my opinion, you can't outline Hammett either. That is
why men read those books and women read Agatha Christie--men like
stories and women like characters (although anyone who says Christie
"developed characters" is also nodding)

--
whose DOROTHYL nom is Kate Warne the ex-Pinkerton in
The Woman With the Rose Tattoo by Mari Hall