Re: RARA-AVIS: Devil in a Blue Dress

Greg Swan (swan@poboxes.com)
Sun, 19 Apr 1998 11:48:37 -0700 Got the book read. Frank made all the points I'd make.

Most intriguing part: depiction of Easy's interaction with three cultural
groups: LA blacks, Houston blacks and LA whites.

Best characterization: Mouse

Dumbest plot move: Mouse' second rescue of Easy. I cheered at Mouse' fir=
st
surprise intervention and groaned at his second. Still haven't forgiven
Mosely for that one.

Most uncomfortable feeling: Thumbing through previous pages, wondering wh=
ere
I'd accidentally skipped a few -- like when Easy figured out who killed
Coretta -- then realizing I didn't miss anything.=20

On the Ellroy front, I was so disappointed with Ellroy's Suicide Hill tha=
I'd like to take no chances with my second Ellroy book. I'd like to read
one of his best. To that end, I'm thinking I'll join the small rebel gro=
up
reading Dahlia instead of Hollywood Nocturne.

Frank D wrote:
> Easy is ruminating on the
> differences between Houston and L.A. Easy=92s black community in Housto=
n had
> time to sit on the porch and greet people as they walked by.=20

> Mosley is good at leaving us hanging for unusual lengths of time.=20

> I=92ll be darned if I know. I don=92t remember any clues
> pointing that way.=20

> I have a little trouble with Easy being saved by Mouse, not once, but t=
wice.
#