Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: HAMMETT: Cynical Hammett (Was: Ned Beaumont)

Reed Andrus (randrus@home.com)
Sat, 18 Apr 1998 22:05:04 -0700 Mario Taboada wrote:

> Anthony Smith:

> <<For me, writing is not about the plot
> alone. There are only so many plots. I enjoy seeing the lives of
> characters, which make them feel more alive to me than movie-like
> stereotypes. Take Lawrence Block's _When the Sacred Ginmill Closes_.
> Not
> a lot of plot. Lots of interactions between friends, good dialogue,
> description of New York, lots of Scudder walking around. But this is a
> great novel. And still short.>>
>
> This is an excellent example of the hardboiled P.I. novel. Block is a
> fine stylist who does not divert with extraneous material. Scudder's
> problem with alcoholism is part of the character, and it is handled
> superbly throughout the entire series (well, he sobers up).
>
> As an aside, maybe we could include some Block in our reading
> list..."Ginmill" would be an excellent choice. And no-one will complain
> of padding!!
>
> Regards,
>
> Mario Taboada

Block, along with Michael Connelly, Dennis Lehane, and Thomas H. Cook,
are the best noir writers working today. My personal choice for a
Scudder reading is OUT ON THE CUTTING EDGE, because it introduces the
exceptional supporting character of Mick, Scudder's Irish
bartender/killer acquaintance.

... Reed Andrus
Phoenix, AZ (rising)
#