Re: RARA-AVIS: Hammett (was: Cynical Hammett)

James Rogers (jetan@ionet.net)
Sat, 18 Apr 1998 11:48:54 -0500 (CDT) At 03:25 PM 4/18/98 -0700, Mr. Duggan wrote:

>Rogers wrote:
>> There is definitely padding in some of the OP
>> stories, but when _Glass Key_ came out Hammett is pretty well at the top of
>> his earning power, with guaranteed hardcover sale and major reviewer
>> attention.
>
>I think this is actually the point at which Hammett's peak earning
>period begins, reaching full fruition in the mid-late thirties (ie after
>publication of the _Thin Man_) with several stints in Hollywood; film
>deals for the various Maltese Falcon and Thin Man films; and various
>radio spin-offs.

I would say that the big jump happened with Maltese
Falcon (7 hardcover print runs in 1 year). Prior to the hardcover pulication
of GK, he has already sold the film rights for 25k.

>> The days of hanging out on the cheap at Nathanial West's hotel
>> were history, so I doubt that he still was thinking in terms of 55 extra
>> words paying for a couple more drinks.
>
>Not history yet: Hammett didn't move to West's dive until late in 1932.
>It was there that Hammett finished _The Thin Man_ having done a bunk
>from a NY hotel because he couldn't pay the bill! Nor had Hammett yet
>'re-borrowed' the $500 loan just returned to Albert Samuels because he
>didn't have enough money to get from SF to Hollywood.
>As well as reaching his earning peak in the thirties, Hammett was also
>well into his spending peak, hanging out with the literati while the
>hotel, limo and booze bills piled up.

You are correct. I knew when I posted my assertion that I needed to
check my dates. Both Thin Man and the awful shorts from that period are
clearly bill payers required to bail him out from his child support
situation. In my youth I had the experience of staying at one of the
"hotels" that West ran (The Kenmore).....a very hardboiled experience, I
assure you, and one that no amount of literary resonance could ease.
In terms of mad spending, Hammett seems to have been the only serious
rival to F. Scott Fitzgerald's near-monopoly on self-destruction

Nonetheless, to return to my original contention, I do not believe
that Hammett chose to pad his later books in this way. I think that the use
of the full name of the protagonist is an example of what one of our
academic fellow travelers referred to as "use of terms not appropriate to
colloquial speech...(in order to add) distance from the scene.".

James
James Michael Rogers
jetan@ionet.net

#