RARA-AVIS: Hammett (was: Cynical Hammett)

E J M Duggan (ejmd@mcmail.com)
Sat, 18 Apr 1998 15:25:27 -0700 On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, James Rogers <jetan@ionet.net> wrote:

> Well, I agree with those who thought that the Flitcraft but was
> the central portion of TMF.

Yes, literally; and some would argue, figuratively too.

> There is definitely padding in some of the OP
> stories, but when _Glass Key_ came out Hammett is pretty well at the top of
> his earning power, with guaranteed hardcover sale and major reviewer
> attention.

I think this is actually the point at which Hammett's peak earning
period begins, reaching full fruition in the mid-late thirties (ie after
publication of the _Thin Man_) with several stints in Hollywood; film
deals for the various Maltese Falcon and Thin Man films; and various
radio spin-offs.

Like Hammett's previous novels, _The Glass Key_ was serialised in _Black
Mask_ (and it was the last one to be printed in _BM_). Joe Shaw must
have realised Hammett was growing away from the magazine; the puffs in
_Black Mask_ announcing _Maltese Falcon_ and _Glass Key_ show an
awareness of Hammett's growing reputation as the leading writer in the
genre.

> The days of hanging out on the cheap at Nathanial West's hotel
> were history, so I doubt that he still was thinking in terms of 55 extra
> words paying for a couple more drinks.

Not history yet: Hammett didn't move to West's dive until late in 1932.
It was there that Hammett finished _The Thin Man_ having done a bunk
from a NY hotel because he couldn't pay the bill! Nor had Hammett yet
're-borrowed' the $500 loan just returned to Albert Samuels because he
didn't have enough money to get from SF to Hollywood.
As well as reaching his earning peak in the thirties, Hammett was also
well into his spending peak, hanging out with the literati while the
hotel, limo and booze bills piled up.

ED