RARA-AVIS: Re: Mike Hammer TV series and movies

Kevin Smith (kvnsmith@colba.net)
Thu, 16 Apr 1998 12:44:29 -0500 Jennifer Boller wrote:

>Do you know whether any of the Mike Hammer TV series
>and/or movies werewritten by women? I wrote three episodes for the
>current season of Mike Hammer - Private Eye, and wonder if I'm the first.

Sorry, Jennifer, according to my notes, Nancy Ann Miller contributed to
at least one episode of THE NEW MIKE HAMMER, the second series that ran
1986-1987 on CBS, although there may have been other women writers
hidden behind initials and/or pseudonyms. Still, my guess is you're the
first woman to contribute that much writing to Hammer on TV. Congrats.
How many episodes in all were produced?

But here's a good one. What's your take on Hammer's views on women? (At
least, in the original books?). Or is the series sufficiently removed
from its source that it's no longer an issue? We are, after all, a half
century from the first publication of I, The Jury.

And John, how many post-Keach TV movies were there? What were they
called?