Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Glass Key pet peeve

Ned Fleming (ned@networksplus.net)
Wed, 15 Apr 1998 23:23:23 GMT On Wed, 15 Apr 1998 08:52:34 -0500, Joe Kraus wrote:

>I too noticed Hammett's constant use and re-use of "Ned Beaumont" every
>time he refers to his hero in "The Glass Key." I liked it, though; I see
>it fitting into Hammett's general take on class and ethnicity.
>
>"Beaumont" sounds sophisticated, and Ned certainly is that. He's a master
>of cultural niceties; he's the one who recommends the kinds of clothes that
>Paul Madvig ought to wear, and he's the one who's sophisticated enough for
>Janet Henry actually to fall in love with.
>
>There's something upper-class sounding about the name, and I think it
>reinforces the idea that Ned is in a seedy place, living by a code that
>probably belongs somewhere else.

Way off-topic, but here goes: In a study done some years back, which I
read about I don't know where, probably in the newspaper (or somesuch
scholarly outlet), names were "rated" for the type of job the name
"fit." "Ned" conjured up a middle-aged, mustachioed university professor
in most (some?) peoples' minds. As a middle-aged, mustachioed
non-professor, who has been called "perfessor" (a la "Gilligan's
Island"), I can't say I object much. But I ain't changing my last name
to "Beaumont."

--
Ned Fleming
#