RARA-AVIS: Glass Key

E J M Duggan (ejmd@mcmail.com)
Wed, 15 Apr 1998 10:14:27 -0700 On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Jeff Lander <jeffl@darwin3d.com> wrote:

> I just finished the Glass Key (last of the Hammett's for me)
> and I liked it a lot but one problem with the writing style.
[SNIP]
> I really had to force myself to look past that to enjoy the
> book. Funny how the little things can sometimes really turn
> you off.

Yes, I think the style of _Glass Key_ makes it quite a difficult text to
'engage' with. I think it's Hammett trying out his 'objective' thing.
Lots of critics rate this novel as Hammett's best (Julilan Symons, for
example), I find the dialogue-driven _Maltese Falcon_ a much easier read
(one of the interesting things about Hammett is that all his novels are
so different from each other).

At the moment I'm reading Paul Cain's _Fast One_
I find it reminscent of _The Maltese Falcon_ (some characters:
description, traits; and some dialogue) and _The Long Goodbye_ (some
settings: eg LA and boat scenes). Obviously there's a lot of common
ground between _Fast One_ and _Glass Key_ so I thought I'd have a go at
re-reading _Glass Key_ next.

Eddie Duggan

--
<JimBeam></JimBeam> ... makes all of the content inside the tags blurry,
distorted and unreadable.