Re: RARA-AVIS: Prohibition (was Greetings and Call for suggestions)

Mari Hall (found.dead.in.texas@airmail.net)
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 09:45:44 -0500 Diane Trap wrote:

> (snip)
>
> Jeff, I think this suggestion is meant for you, since Mari was replying
> to your reply to my reply to your question...though talking with
> Max Allen Collins and Commander Holton sounds like a lot of fun.
> Mari, have you met these people yourself?
>
> -----Diane Trap
> trap@rhett.libs.uga.edu
>
> > Sorry, for this second post, but also thought of this: Diane, you might
> > also want to contact Max Allen Collins himself. I'm sure he and his
> > researcher (George, I forget his last name) could help you with a biblio
> > and also Commander Hugh Holton in Chicago could probably steer you in a
> > direction--he is a third-generation Chicago cop and I'm sure he knows
> > where the bodies are baried.
> > --

Oh, yes, in fact, I have. Max Allen Collins is very approachable and
friendly. In fact, I was reviewing one of his books early in the '90's
and called his house and his father answers, but Al (as he is known for
differentiate him from his father) called me back and answered every
question. I really got to visit with both he and his wife, Barbara, who
is also a published author, at the original Oma-ha-cons. Commander
Holton was also at those early con's in Oma-ha and we visited and
corresponded about my Kate Warne (being beried in Chicago with the rest
of the Pinkertons) and I renew old acquaintances with them at every
chance. Hugh has written a column in Mystery Scene for a long time (even
before he published his first book). But then there are folks on this
list (like Gary Neibaur who know Al Collins much better than I and Barb
D'Amato who is a friend of Hugh Holton's) who are much more knowledgable
about these folks than I.

--
whose DOROTHYL nom is Kate Warne the ex-Pinkerton in
The Woman With the Rose Tattoo by Mari Hall