Re: RARA-AVIS: Prohibition (was Greetings and Call for suggestions)

Mari Hall (found.dead.in.texas@airmail.net)
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 08:41:34 -0500 Jeff Lander wrote:

> Thanks Diane.
>
> Diane Trap wrote:
> > If some non-fiction would help, you might try:
> >
> > _Los Angeles: A to Z_, an encyclopedia of the city--use it to find
> > short articles on people and places
>
> I checked that book out but I didn't see much. But I wasn't thinking
> as a reference guide.
>
> > _Sunshine and Wealth_, by Henstell--Los Angeles in the '20s and '30s,
> > lots of black and white photographs
>
> That sounds great. We will check it out.
>
> > _Raymond Chandler's Los Angeles_--don't remember the author(s), but
> > it does include photographs of some of the places Chandler wrote about.
> > I've only glanced briefly through it--some of the photos seem more
> > arty than informative, but it is interesting. As I remember, though,
> > most of Chandler's stuff is post-prohibition.
>
> I thought that would be much better then it was. But it was
> very interesting. Many of the buildings he describes are of
> the right era, so Chandler is a great influence.
>
> I have also found some great Chicago, SF, and NYC architecture
> books that are very useful for anyone getting the feel of an
> era.
>
> BTW:
> Are Burnett's other novels, like Asphalt Jungle, available now?
> None of the search engines show them available.
>
> Thanks for the help.
> Jeff
> #
> # To unsubscribe, say "unsubscribe rara-avis" to majordomo@icomm.ca.
> # The web pages for the list are at http://www.vex.net/~buff/rara-avis/.

Sorry, for this second post, but also thought of this: Diane, you might
also want to contact Max Allen Collins himself. I'm sure he and his
researcher (George, I forget his last name) could help you with a biblio
and also Commander Hugh Holton in Chicago could probably steer you in a
direction--he is a third-generation Chicago cop and I'm sure he knows
where the bodies are baried.

--
whose DOROTHYL nom is Kate Warne the ex-Pinkerton in
The Woman With the Rose Tattoo by Mari Hall