Re: RARA-AVIS: Prohibition (was: Greetings and Call for suggestions)

Mari Hall (found.dead.in.texas@airmail.net)
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 08:39:12 -0500 Diane Trap wrote:

> Jeff says:
>
> > Hello all. I am new to the list and have enjoyed some of the
> > suggestions. I am working on some material for a project.
>
> (snip)
>
> > My project involves Prohibition era speakeasy and gangster locals and
> > scenarios. I am looking for good examples of this kind of thing.
>
> If some non-fiction would help, you might try:
>
> _Los Angeles: A to Z_, an encyclopedia of the city--use it to find
> short articles on people and places
>
> _Sunshine and Wealth_, by Henstell--Los Angeles in the '20s and '30s,
> lots of black and white photographs
>
> _Raymond Chandler's Los Angeles_--don't remember the author(s), but
> it does include photographs of some of the places Chandler wrote about.
> I've only glanced briefly through it--some of the photos seem more
> arty than informative, but it is interesting. As I remember, though,
> most of Chandler's stuff is post-prohibition.
>
> If you have a large library near you, you should be able to see
> microfilm copies of the Los Angeles Times. You might also take a
> look at April issues of Architectural Digest--it's the Hollywood
> issue.
>
> Hope this helps--
>
> -----Diane Trap
> trap@rhett.libs.uga.edu
> #
> # To unsubscribe, say "unsubscribe rara-avis" to majordomo@icomm.ca.
> # The web pages for the list are at http://www.vex.net/~buff/rara-avis/.

I don't know if it's been suggested, but you might try Steve Theyer
STAINT MUDD; it's about St. Paul in Prohibition.

--
whose DOROTHYL nom is Kate Warne the ex-Pinkerton in
The Woman With the Rose Tattoo by Mari Hall