RARA-AVIS: Raymond Chandler's Los Angeles & Chandlertown

E J M Duggan (ejmd@mcmail.com)
Sat, 11 Apr 1998 14:50:47 -0700 On Fri, 10 Apr 1998, Diane Trap <trap@rhett.libs.uga.edu> wrote:

[SNIP]*

> _Raymond Chandler's Los Angeles_--don't remember the author(s), but
> it does include photographs of some of the places Chandler wrote about.
> I've only glanced briefly through it--some of the photos seem more
> arty than informative, but it is interesting.

Yes, very interesting, especially for Chandler readers like me who've
never been to LA. For those who don't know the book, it is comprised of
aboutr 100 photographs (taken by the authors in the 1980s) accompanied
by sixty-odd short extracts from Chandler's novels and stories. There
is an introductory essay and some other useful bits of text. The authors
are Elizabeth Ward and Alain Silver. They've written on film foir as
well; bits of both books can be found on their web site (I don't have
the url to hand, but any search engine should turn it up; otherwise,
have a look under the Raymond Chandler section on my Watching the
Detectives links page: <http://www.ejmd.mcmail.com/wtdlinks.htm>).

Another, similar, work is Edward Thorpe's _Chandlertown: The Los Angeles
of Phillip Marlowe_ (London: Vermilion, 1983). Although a slender
volume of just over 100 pages, this contains more text than Silver &
Ward's 234 pager, and thus offers a lot more contextual information.

ED

* For those rara-avians who do not know what 'SNIP' refers to, it is the
editing-out (cutting, or 'snipping') of material previously posted.
We don't need the whole of a forty-line message re-posted just as a
prologue to your appended 'me too' or 'I agree' type comments.
'Snipping' is to be encouraged at all times. Just try it---it's easy,
it's rewardnig and it's FUN --- it just takes a little more thought
than hitting the 'reply' button on your browser/mailer.
Here endeth the Easter sermon.