Re: RARA-AVIS: Greetings and Call for suggestions

Jeff Lander (jeffl@darwin3d.com)
Fri, 10 Apr 1998 13:01:04 -0700 Thanks Diane.

Diane Trap wrote:
> If some non-fiction would help, you might try:
>
> _Los Angeles: A to Z_, an encyclopedia of the city--use it to find
> short articles on people and places

I checked that book out but I didn't see much. But I wasn't thinking
as a reference guide.

> _Sunshine and Wealth_, by Henstell--Los Angeles in the '20s and '30s,
> lots of black and white photographs

That sounds great. We will check it out.

> _Raymond Chandler's Los Angeles_--don't remember the author(s), but
> it does include photographs of some of the places Chandler wrote about.
> I've only glanced briefly through it--some of the photos seem more
> arty than informative, but it is interesting. As I remember, though,
> most of Chandler's stuff is post-prohibition.

I thought that would be much better then it was. But it was
very interesting. Many of the buildings he describes are of
the right era, so Chandler is a great influence.

I have also found some great Chicago, SF, and NYC architecture
books that are very useful for anyone getting the feel of an
era.

BTW:
Are Burnett's other novels, like Asphalt Jungle, available now?
None of the search engines show them available.

Thanks for the help.
Jeff
#