Re: RARA-AVIS: Wang Shuo

Reed Andrus (randrus@home.com)
Thu, 09 Apr 1998 22:33:20 -0700 Hmmm ... China noir, huh? Add that (I guess) to Mexican noir (the
highly-praised DIOS DE LOS MUERTOS), and Korean noir (Martin Limon's
SLICKY BOYS, which I read and liked a lot), and it seems we're in the
midst of an international noir explosion!

... Reed Andrus
Phoenix, AZ (rising)

Frank D wrote:
>=20
> Hi; Gang;
>=20
> I think it was Bill Denton who forwarded a post from another net and t=
he
> person was upset. Anyway; somewhere in the message forwarded was menti=
on of
> Wang Shuo. By chance I ran into the book today and thought I would pos=
t the
> blurbs; front and back for you enlightenment. The title of the book is
> PLAYING FOR THRILLS and the publisher is Penguin books. It's a trade
> paperback; priced at $12.95 U.S. Translator is Howard Goldblatt; profe=
ssor
> at Univ. Of Colorado at Boulder.
>=20
> ; On the cover Stephen King (we know he's an expert on hardboiled) is
> quoted: "The most brilliantly entertaining hardboiled novel of the
> =9190s...and maybe of the =9180s; as well... Most ultimately cool." (=
He
> majored in lit crit; I see.)
>=20
> ; On the back Newsweek is quoted: "A tripped-out novel of urban alienat=
ion
> from "China's literary bad boy"; The main blurb: The narrator of Wang S=
huo's
> disembodied; compelling; and ultimately explosive novel may or may not =
have
> committed a mysterious murder ten years earlier =97 even he isn't sure.=
As
#