Re: RARA-AVIS: Michael Connelly

Mari Hall (found.dead.in.texas@airmail.net)
Tue, 07 Apr 1998 10:32:45 -0500 Gary Warren Niebuhr wrote:

> >That must have been a good night. What's Connelly like?
>
> I have had a couple of opportunities to meet Michael Connelly. He is a
> very quiet, unassuming type of guy. Some authors love the spotlight and
> will perform as soon as the lights come on (ala Robert Crais, who is always
> good for a story and is a laugh a minute). Connelly strikes me as a more
> internal person, as he is quiet and low-keyed. You have to really lean in
> and listen when he tells a story, but with that quiet demeanor comes an
> intensity that makes it evident why he can write the stories that he does.
> If I had to make a guess, as a reporter he was probably not the guy in
> front shouting the questions at the inquiry, but rather the guy sitting on
> someone's back porch getting the story no one else could. He has always
> been very receptive to fans, which can be very difficult for someone who
> might be a little shy. But the bottom line is, I think he may be the one
> of the best writers we have right now and a nice guy to boot. Who could
> ask for anything more (except more copies of THE BLACK ECHO in mint
> condition with the blue belly band).
>
> P.I.E.S. (Private Investigator Entertainment Service)
> Catalogs of new and used private eye fiction
> Gary Warren Niebuhr, Owner
> P. O. Box 341218
> Milwaukee, WI 53234
> piesbook@execpc.com
> <http://www.execpc.com/~piesbook/piescatalog.html>
> #
> # To unsubscribe, say "unsubscribe rara-avis" to majordomo@icomm.ca.
> # The web pages for the list are at http://www.vex.net/~buff/rara-avis/.

Oh, and remember the Bouchercon in Seattle where he just wandered
through the dealer room signing at random rather than panels/autograph
session? Yes, I like that description of his getting a story, but then
GWN, you always know just what I mean.

--
whose DOROTHYL nom is Kate Warne the ex-Pinkerton in
The Woman With the Rose Tattoo by Mari Hall