Re: RARA-AVIS: Future readings

Mari Hall (found.dead.in.texas@airmail.net)
Mon, 06 Apr 1998 09:38:00 -0500 William Denton wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Apr 1998, Kevin Smith wrote:
>

> Probably not for a little while longer, but _A Long Reach_ looks
> pretty good from the blurbiage at Amazon.com.

Well, you already know what I think of "Streeter".

> Here's what people suggested (I hope I didn't miss any):
>
> _They Shoot Horses, Don't They?_ (Horace McCoy)
> _Freaky Deaky_ (Elmore Leonard)-- Love Leonard and Cuba Libra was so-oo-0 good.

> _Joey's Case_ (K.C. Constantine)

I'm trying to read one of his now, there was some discussion last week
on him.
> _The Lost Get Back Boogie_ (James Lee Burke)
> _The Good Old Stuff_ (John D. MacDonald)
> _Brighton Rock_ (Graham Greene)
> _King Suckerman_ (George Pelecanos)

I vote this one; Gerry Ford says he's the best thing around.

> _Hollywood Nocturnes_ (James Ellroy)-- Good, good.
> _Kiss Me, Deadly_ (Mickey Spillane)--Black Alley was not so good
> _A Long Reach_ (Michael Stone)--Oh, yes, no question

> _Solomon's Vineyard_ (Jonathan Latimer)
>
> I think it's high time we got to some Ellroy, and _Hollywood
> Nocturnes_ ought to be a good choice. The L.A. Quartet should be read
> in order, so we can't go jumping into _White Jazz_, and _American
> Tabloid_ is pretty huge. Besides, "Dick Contino's Blues" is a great
> story, and I haven't read it in a while. Then, let's try out this _A
> Long Reach_, unless anyone really hates Stone, and then let's do _The
> Burnt Orange Heresy_, because there are so many Willeford fans here
> and because some probably haven't read it.

Is this the order, Elroy, Stone and then Willeford??? Yes, yes, more,
more. I'm looking for -Hollywood- right now.

> Hmmm, I forgot Gar Haywood. We'll get to him soon.

Soooner, please. But then of course you will have to read (in
conjunction with his Aaron Gunner) the Dottie Loudermilk (Going Nowhere
Fast) so you can compare writing styles and stories (a black woman
narrator [first person] what a hoot compared to Gunner.

--
whose DOROTHYL nom is Kate Warne the ex-Pinkerton in
The Woman With the Rose Tattoo by Mari Hall