Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Bounty Hunters (was Reading List / Spillane, BSP, blue Murder)

Mari Hall (found.dead.in.texas@airmail.net)
Mon, 06 Apr 1998 09:20:02 -0500 Reed Andrus wrote:

> Kevin Smith wrote:
> >

> Just purchased the paperback reprint of A LONG REACH. Also picked up THE
> LOW END OF NOWHERE. As far as political correctness is concerned, using
> a bounty hunter as a hero has had negative connotations since the recent
> incident down here in Arizona. Still, BITCH FACTOR by Chris Rogers, a
> first novel just published in hardcover, features a female bounty hunter
> as the protagonist!

Mike Stone is just a "nice" guy you can't help but like his books. Also
there is a guy named Bruce Most (also from Denver) who has a woman bail
bonds person who also "recovers" her own jumps, who drives a red
Lambougini (I guess if you have one you don't misspell it??); then there
is JD Knight who wrote one (something about "Zero") and of course Janet
Evonovich who is so-o-o funny (pardon me, while I gag), but actually I
can recommend Cris Rogers' book. It is a little slow getting started,
but after she gets the jumper back to Texas the pace picks up (about the
first 100 pages are the trip back in snow from the Dakotas (forget which
of them but north on I-35 anyway) to Texas) It's a typical first book
(you throw in everything because you might be afraid you won't be
published again) and it's pretty prediciable for those of us who always
read this kind of thing (at least I figured out early on who the
"killer" was, but I couldn't get the motive--and she does sort'a make
you doubt who you thought it was--of course, we -know- (no spoiler) it's
not the jumper.

That's Okay, Reed, we had a problem with some bounty hunters here in
Dallas too; they're everywhere, they're everywhere. No regulations
except Federal ones.

--
whose DOROTHYL nom is Kate Warne the ex-Pinkerton in
The Woman With the Rose Tattoo by Mari Hall