Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Short Crime Markets

Mari Hall (found.dead.in.texas@airmail.net)
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 11:01:01 -0600 Kevin Smith wrote:

> Himes and Mosley on the reading list, what do you folks think of Gar
> Haywood's Aaron Gunner? I think it's a shame he's been overshadowed by
> Mosley lately.

I know we aren't supposed to say "me, too", but yes, I love Aaron Gunner
and even Dottie Loudermilk (you'll know me at conventions I have on the
"bad dog" t-shirt (Gar always asks me which one I have on)]. He also did
some writing for New York Undercover (plus he was a neighbor of my
daughter's when he lived in Venice Beach). Aside from all that, I really
like his books and didn't he win a PI Writers award or Edgar for the
first Aaron Gunner?

BTW, does anyone read Gary Phillips out there? He does the Ivan Monk PI
novels and the Brits seem to like him (I always look to see what Crime
Times says about American writers, since I get a real impression they
like the harder boiled)

--
#